Recently Wyoming Citizens Opposing Common Core posted about the upcoming Science Standards Meetings:
You still have an opportunity to give input to the Science Standards Review Committee at the remaining regional community meetings . Each meeting will include a presentation on the standards review process, an update on Wyoming’s science standards, and time for the public to comment. The remaining regional community meetings will be held at 6:00 p.m. in the following locations:
June 8, Storey Gym Board Room, 2811 House Avenue, Cheyenne
June 9, Evanston High School, Seminar Room, 701 W. Cheyenne Drive, Evanston.
If you are unable to attend PLEASE fill out the Wyoming Department of Education’s SURVEY. (Until June 12th)
Below is information on the concerns voiced by parents across our state. Feel free to use this information to help you craft your comments for the meeting or the survey:
1) What specifically do you want your kids to get out of science standards? (critical minds which have had opportunities to see/debate controversial issues in science from more than one viewpoint? Adequate content for quality high school courses in Physics and Chemistry? Excellent preparation for STEM career paths?) More Ideas HERE!
2) In contrast, what is it about NGSS that won’t help accomplish the goals you have for your children? Help HERE and More Help HERE. (Remember that NGSS is already in use in our state prior to any adoption AND we know the State Board of Education and WDE will be pushing to use NGSS as a spring board for Wyoming Standards).
3) How can the state do the best possible job communicating with you about opportunities to get your input on standards adoption and other major educational decisions being made at the state level (rather than you having to seek it out)?
- Notes in backpack from your district?
- Text or phone messaging system already used by your district?
- Facebook or Social media? Info on joining from your district?
- An e-mail notification system you can sign up for?
- How much notice do you need for public meetings/public input?
We believe that our state can arrive at a set of superb standards characterized by autonomy,academic excellence, objectivity and transparency. Details HERE.
Below is information found on the Wyoming Department of Education’s website concerning the community meetings. There is a presentation that will be shown at the meetings you may view below if you are unable to attend.
Science Standards Review Committee
The Science Standards Review Committee will meet in Casper June 15-16, 2015 to revise, as necessary, the Wyoming Science Content & Performance Standards, so as to recommend a set of science standards to the Wyoming State Board of Education for adoption.
- Committee Members
- Community Meetings for Public Input to the Committee
- Community Meetings Presentation
Please be sure you are informed and involved!